Plan today, for the upcoming snow season. Use these check lists from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to prepare your family, home and car for winter weather.
- Prepare Your Home for Winter Weather
- Winter Weather Food and Safety Supplies
- Safe Cooking and Lighting During Winter Weather
- Keep Water Safe During Winter Weather
- Winter Weather Communications
- Heat Your Home Safely During Winter Weather
- Car Maintenance for Winter Weather
- Winter Weather Supplies for Your Car
The DC Snow Team is ready to fight snow and ice by spreading salt and deicer or by plowing when more than 2” of snow have accumulated on the streets. Here’s what you can do when the time comes.
- District Issues Protective Actions for Extreme Cold
- Check out the weather forecast for the week to see if severe winter weather is predicted.
- Refer to the check lists under “Plan Today” to see make sure your family, home and vehicle(s) are ready for the weather.
- Determine when is the best time to pre-treat your sidewalk(s), steps and walkways. If the storm is coming overnight, please apply deicer, salt, non-clumping kitty litter or other abrasive before going to bed.
- Property owners are responsible for clearing the sidewalk around their property. Let’s make sure our sidewalks are clear so children can walk to school and adults can reach public transportation safely.