(Washington, DC) – Tonight, Mayor Muriel Bowser announced that on Thursday, January 20, DC Public Schools (DCPS) will open on a two-hour delay. Students previously scheduled to learn virtually should also plan to log into virtual classes two hours later than their scheduled time.
DC Government will open on time.
Vaccination and COVID-19 testing sites, including the new COVID Centers, will open on time. Find more information about testing and vaccination sites at coronavirus.dc.gov.
In anticipation of the upcoming winter weather, Mayor Bowser will deploy the District Snow Team at 6:00 a.m. on Thursday to begin to salt the streets in preparation for a mix of rain turning into snow later on Thursday morning.
The District’s Hypothermia Alert remains activated. Residents are encouraged to call 311 or (202) 399-7093 if they see someone in need of shelter.
Winter Weather Tips
- Find your snow shovel and make sure it is adequate for another snow season.
- Check your supply of abrasives – deicer, rock salt or non-clumping kitty litter – and get more if necessary. The District has used pet-friendly deicer on its pedestrian bridges for several years and found it to melt ice effectively and be easy on pets’ paws.
- Have enough over-the-counter and prescription medications for your family and pet(s).
- Make sure your gutters are cleared of leaves. You don’t want leaves to block the flow of rainwater that may freeze.
- Turn off all outdoor water faucets.
- Keep your vehicle’s fluids tanks – gas, water, antifreeze and windshield wiper – full.
- Have a flashlight, blankets, and scrapers in your vehicle before a storm begins.
The District Snow Team will continue to monitor the weather forecast and adjust its response as necessary. For more information about DC’s snow program and preparing for winter weather, visit snow.dc.gov.