Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.


District Snow Team

DC Agency Top Menu

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Motorists Urged to Remove Their Vehicles From Snow Emergency Routes

Friday, January 22, 2016

Contact: Linda Grant (DPW) – (202) 671-2375; [email protected]

Motorists should remove their vehicles from snow emergency routes, otherwise they will be ticketed and towed. Mayor Muriel Bowser declared a snow emergency that went into effect today at 9:30 am. As of 12:15 pm, the Department of Public Works had issued 2,091 tickets for snow emergency violations and towed 85 vehicles.

Snow Emergency Details
Mayor Bowser announced the snow emergency at a news conference Thursday, January 21 and said it would become effective today at 9:30 am.

The snow emergency will remain in effect until an announcement is made that it has been lifted.  Motorists are asked to tune into television and radio broadcast stations or go to for a notice that the snow emergency has been lifted.

To learn where a vehicle has been towed, call the Towed Vehicle Locator office at (202) 541-6083.

Vehicles ticketed for a snow emergency violation and towed by DPW may be relocated to a nearby non-snow emergency street or they will be taken to the DPW Impound Lot at 5001 Shepherd Parkway, SW 20032.  The lot is open weekdays from 8 am to 6 pm, the telephone number is (202) 645-5500. The lot is closed weekends, holidays and when DC government is closed. Vehicles also may be towed by private towing companies, and vehicle owners can learn where their vehicle has been towed by calling the Towed Vehicle Locator office at (202) 541-6083. To have an impounded vehicle released, these fees must be paid first:

Snow emergency fees include:

  • $250 ticket for the snow emergency violation. 
  • $100 tow fee.
  • $20 per day storage fee.

Additional fees also may be required to be paid, e.g., fees for tickets older than 60 days that have not been entered into the adjudication system.

These fees may be paid at the impound lot by bank debit card, credit card (Mastercard, Visa and Discover) or online through the Department of Motor Vehicles Website at